AWARD OF FELLOWSHIPS
Indian Institute of Advanced Study
RASHTRAPATI NIVAS, SHIMLA – 171005
AWARD OF FELLOWSHIPS
1. We invite applications for award of Fellowships for advanced research in the following areas:
(a) Social, Political and Economic Philosophy;
(b) Comparative Indian Literature (including Ancient, Medieval, Modern Folk and Tribal);
(c) Comparative Studies in Philosophy and Religion;
(d) Comparative Studies in History (including Historiography and Philosophy of History);
(e) Education, Culture, Arts including performing Arts and Crafts;
(f) Fundamental Concepts and Problems of Logic and Mathematics;
(g) Fundamental Concepts and Problems of Natural and Life Sciences;
(h) Studies in Environment;
(i) Indian Civilization in the context of Asian Neighbours; and
(j) Problems of Contemporary India in the context of National Integration and Nation-building.
2. Since the Institute is committed to Advanced Study, proposals involving empirical work with data collection and fieldwork would not be considered.
3. Applications from scholars working in, and on, the North Eastern region are encouraged.
4. Scholars belonging to the weaker section of society would be given preference.
5. The Institute would evaluate and consider for publication the monographs of the Fellows submitted on completion of their term. The Institute will have the first right of publication and will have the copyright of the monograph submitted by the Fellow.
6. The term of Fellowship would initially be for a period of one year, extendable by another year, but in no case will extend beyond two years.
7. The prescribed application form can be downloaded from this website and can also be obtained from the Institute by sending a self-addressed envelop (5x11") with postage stamp of Rs. 10 affixed. The application on the prescribed form may be sent to the Secretary, Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla 171005. Applications can also be made on line at www.iias.org .
8. Fellows would be expected to remain in residence from 1 st March to 15 th December. Their stay at the Institute during the winter months would be optional. They may proceed on Study Tours during this period .
9. The pay of in-service Fellows would be protected. In addition, they will also get 20 per cent of their basic pay in case they are maintaining a separate house at the place of their work, other than government accommodation. The Fellowship grant for Fellows who are independednt scholars is Rs. 47,000 per month.
10. The Institute provides hard furnished rent free accommodation to Fellows in cottages on the Rashtrapati Nivas Estate. In addition, scholars will be provided a personal fully furnished study (which may be on sharing basis) with computer and Internet facilities.
11. The Fellows will be provided with free stationary. In addition, they would have access to Institute's vehicles for local travel on payment of nominal charges.
12. Fellows are entitled to free medical treatment at the dispensary of the Institute .
13. It is mandatory for in-service candidates to apply through proper channel.
14. Fellowship applications of scholars who have been a Fellow of the Institute within a period of last five years will not be considered.
Award of Fellowships